Seller Signed Title in Wrong Place [What to Do]

seller signed title in wrong place

What happens if the seller signed title in wrong place after you bought a car? In many states, this mistake can make the title invalid. You shouldn’t try to erase or alter the incorrect signature. Instead, let’s look at two possible ways you might be able to get out of this.

Seller Signed Title in Wrong Place

seller signed title in wrong place

If the seller signed the title in the wrong place, you have to do the following:

1. Proceed to the DMV

First, take the title as it is to the DMV to check if they’ll accept it. If they don’t, you will have to ask the seller to obtain a duplicate title.

2. Request a Duplicate Title from the Seller

A duplicate title is a new, blank certificate that the seller can sign correctly. Remind the seller that signing in the wrong place can void the entire title, so they should be careful with it this time.

If the seller isn’t responsive, tell them that until the duplicate is completed, technically they still own the car and are responsible for it. This should get their attention.

Once you receive the new title, make sure the seller signs it in the correct place. Then, take it to the DMV to transfer it into your name. If the seller can’t provide a duplicate title, you might want to complete the duplicate title request form for them. Just prepare everything and only require the seller’s signature. Often, if you ask the seller for another title, they might ignore your request or agree but then forget about it. So, make it a responsibility to fill out the form yourself and make it easy for them. Just get their signature. This way, you don’t have to depend on them to do much, especially if it’s signed incorrectly.

Read also: Correct Way to Fill Out an NJ Title

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like