Registering a Car in Kansas from Out of State

registering a car in Kansas from out of state

If you reside out of Kansas and have recently bought a car from that state, you have to register it and display a plate along with the corresponding decals. The process is not much different from an in-state vehicle but you still need to have an insight to guide your registration process. So, in this post, we will be covering the process of registering a car in Kansas from out of state.

You typically have to register your car within 90 days of the date of establishing a Kansas domicile or residence, whether owning, renting, or leasing. Once registered, you are responsible for the annual renewals before expiration.

Registering a Car in Kansas from Out of State

We will keep this really simple. I have personally done vehicle registrations from another state in Kansas. Things were easier because of my residence. Now, let’s look at the simple steps you can follow.

1. Establish Your Residence in Kansas

If you are new to Kansas, you need to register your out-of-state vehicle within 90 days of becoming a resident. You might be considered a resident for registration if you own, lease, or rent a home in Kansas for over 90 days. So, you just need to have a Kansas home and start working here. You also qualify if you register to vote in Kansas and enroll your children in a Kansas school (unless you’re paying out-of-state tuition).

2. Gather the Required Documents

As a new Kansas resident, if you are registering a vehicle from another state, you’ll need a VIN inspection by the Kansas Highway Patrol. This applies to all vehicles with titles from states other than Kansas. You will need to bring the vehicle’s title, the VIN inspection report, the previous state’s registration, and current insurance proof for the vehicle. The person named on the title must be the one to register the vehicle unless they have given someone else a Power of Attorney (Form TR-41). If the title has two names with “and/or” or “or,” only one of you needs to come. If it says “and,” or has no word between the names, both must be present.

You’ll need the odometer disclosure statement. Federal Law requires the seller to state the current mileage in the title’s odometer section for vehicles less than 10 years old at the time of sale.

You’ll also need a sales tax receipt. If you bought it in a place with lower sales tax than where you’ll register it, you’ll pay the difference at the Butler County Motor Vehicle Office when titling and registering. For vehicles bought from an individual or out-of-state dealer, bring a completed Bill of Sale. You’ll pay sales tax at the rate when you bought the vehicle.

3. Obtain Kansas Highway Patrol ID Verification

As the third step of registering a car in Kansas from out of state, you need a Kansas Highway Patrol ID Verification (MVE-1) for vehicles with titles from other states. This check makes sure the ID number on your vehicle matches the title. It’s a step to ensure the vehicle isn’t stolen.

For salvage vehicles applying for rebuilt salvage status, the Kansas Highway Patrol requires:

  • Receipts from individuals must be in a Bill of Sale format and include the VIN of the parts vehicle.
  • Photos of the salvage vehicle before repairs, from the auction ONLY.
  • All original receipts for parts and materials used for rebuilding.
  • If using used parts for repairs, the original receipt must show the VIN of the parts vehicle.

4. Present Your Proof of Insurance

In Kansas, like most states, you need to show proof of no-fault liability insurance for any vehicle (excluding motorized bicycles). For trailers, both recreational and non-recreational, the towing vehicle’s insurance can be used. The insurance must be from a Kansas Approved Insurance Company.

Your insurance proof must include:

  • Insurer’s name
  • Insured’s name
  • Policy number
  • Start and end dates, including the current date
  • Vehicle description, including VIN

5. Make the Payment

First, make an online appointment with the Kansas Department of Revenue Division of Vehicles. You can do this online. The department prioritizes customers who make appointments. Make sure to bring the required documents. You can pay with cash, check, credit card, money order, or cashier’s check. Using a debit or credit card incurs a convenience fee, and the cardholder must be present with ID to sign the receipt.


So, that’s really all you need to know about registering a car in Kansas from out of state. You usually need to be a resident to put the car in your name in this state.

Read Also: How to Register a Car with No VIN Number

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like